San Antonio, Texas is a unique and historic city that is the Culinary Capital of Texas and designated as a UNESCO World Heritage City of Gastronomy. It boasts an 11-day Fiesta, a beautiful Riverwalk, and stunning art and architecture. To inspire visitors, 19 organizations have partnered with Google Arts & Culture to create an immersive online experience featuring 60+ curated stories, 1,600+ artifacts, 100+ videos, and 5 sites captured in 360° Street View.
San Antonio’s culture is a mix of various influences, including Indigenous, Latino, German, Black, and Asian, making it a multicultural city. Here are seven hidden secrets to discover in San Antonio:
1. The San Antonio Art Museum – This museum is home to over 30,000 works of art spanning 5,000 years of history. The collection includes Egyptian, Greek, and Roman antiquities, Latin American art, contemporary art, and much more.
2. The Pearl District – This former brewery has been transformed into a lively neighborhood with shops, restaurants, and green spaces. The district includes the San Antonio Culinary Institute and the Pearl Farmers Market, which offers local produce, artisanal goods, and live music.
3. The Spanish Governor’s Palace – This building dates back to 1749 and was the home of the Spanish governors of Texas. It is now a museum showcasing Spanish colonial architecture and decorative arts.
4. The Japanese Tea Garden – This serene garden features a koi pond, waterfalls, and a pavilion. The garden was originally a quarry that was transformed into a public park in 1919.
5. The Institute of Texan Cultures – This museum celebrates the diverse cultures of Texas, including Indigenous, African American, German, and more. The museum features exhibits, artifacts, and interactive experiences that tell the story of Texas.
6. The Brackenridge Park Conservancy – This park is home to the San Antonio Zoo, the Witte Museum, and the Japanese Tea Garden. The park also features hiking and biking trails, picnic areas, and playgrounds.
7. The Tower of the Americas – This 750-foot tower offers panoramic views of the city and surrounding countryside. The tower also includes a revolving restaurant where diners can enjoy a meal with a stunning view.
San Antonio is a city full of hidden gems waiting to be discovered. Its unique blend of cultures, history, and cuisine makes it a must-visit destination in the United States. With the help of the Google Arts & Culture online experience, visitors can explore the treasures of San Antonio from the comfort of their own homes, and then experience them in person on their next visit.